This is an exciting time for us at St. Luke in the Fields as we explore new opportunities to expand our community service programs.
The Church of St. Luke in the Fields is exploring how it might expand service offerings to meet needs within the West Village community. St. Luke’s has retained Wellspring Consulting, a firm that works with nonprofit and mission-based organizations to help with this work.
Community Services Exploration Update 5.1.17
Wellspring Consulting has collected publicly available information, conducted interviews with parishioners and Church staff, surveyed parishioners, and met a number of times with St. Luke’s Vestry, interviewed leaders and members of the neighborhood, and hosted a number of gatherings open to the broader community
These activities are all part of a preliminary phase of listening, both internally and externally, to more fully understand the needs of the community and how St. Luke’s might help to address them.
Through these investigations, Wellspring Consulting has compiled findings related to the West Village neighborhood.
HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE FOUND SO FAR
- Approximately 55% of people in the neighborhood live alone, versus 32% of people in New York City who live alone
- Including thousands of elderly living alone
- 84% have a Bachelor’s degree or higher, versus 36% of New York City residents
- 6% of the neighborhood population lives in households with incomes below the federal poverty threshold, versus the New York City average of 21%
- Manhattan Community District Two has 0.58 acres of parkland per 1,000 residents, which is one of the lowest ratios of public open space to residents in New York City
Additional to these findings, certain community needs have come up frequently including the following:Support for elderly members of the neighborhood to reduce social isolation, help with basic needs and manage during times of crisis
- Early childhood care and out-of-school recreational space for children and families
- Programs oriented towards spiritual fulfillment
- Flexible space to be available for community use.
These needs and others will be taken into account as the Church of St. Luke in the Fields discerns how best to serve the community in the future. Please stay tuned as we update our latest findings and information here on our website page.
The Road Ahead is just beginning! Please chime in. We would like to hear what your thoughts and ideas are - please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org